Mr Daren Francis
Consultant Surgeon with an interest in Laparoscopic, Colorectal and General Surgery
MBBS MD FRCS
I have been a Consultant surgeon for nearly 13 years. My NHS and private practice includes the specialities of colorectal, laparoscopic/endoscopic surgery and general surgery.
In 2013 I was named in the Tatler Doctors Guide as one of the top 250 doctors in the UK.
Within colorectal surgery I provide a full range of subspeciality consultation and surgery.
I have performed over 500 colorectal resections. Of which 80% are carried out laparoscopically. All of my colorectal resection patients go through an Enhanced Recovery Programme.
I am a general surgical advisor to the BBC television drama “Holby City”. I have been involved in this medical drama for over ten years.This BAFTA award winning show is a regular prime time fixture and attracts up to 9 million viewers. I am involved in the whole process from story ideas through to reading scripts. I attend regular medical meetings with the full production team and advise on set for theatre scenes.
I enjoy many sports and am a fully accredited Level 1 Football Association Coach.
- Lapararoscopic colorectal surgery
- Extralevator abdominoperineal excisions for rectal cancer
- TAMIS procedures for early rectal cancers and benign rectal tumours
- Laparoscopic rectopexy for rectal prolapse
- Robotic surgery for rectal cancer and rectal prolapse
- Advanced resectional surgery for recurrent colorectal cancer.
- Upper and lower gastrointestinal endoscopy as well as gall bladder and hernia surgery
- As a medical educator, I have been the postgraduate lead for surgery at the Trust for the past 6 years and have set up a very successful Basic Surgical Skills course.
- I regularly review manuscripts for major surgical journals.
- I have increased my clinical research and have published numerous papers in my specialist field as well as writng numerous book chapters.
- In 2012 I became an Hononary Senior Lecturer for the Division of Medicine at the University College London (UCL).