Registration & Memberships
Registration and licensing
- GMC No: 6052534
Memberships and associations
Dr Niket Patel
MBBS, BSc(1st Class Hons), MD(Res), FRCP
Dr Niket Patel is a friendly cardiologist that strongly believes in putting the patient at the centre of his decision making. He is an expert in managing patients with cardiac conditions and subspecialises in all aspects of complex interventional cardiology (angioplasty/stenting). He enjoys working with patients to find solutions to their symptoms, considering all possible options (conservative, medical, interventional and surgical).
Dr Patel studied medicine St George’s Hospital Medical School and completed his specialist training in cardiology and coronary intervention at Harefield Hospital and Oxford University Hospital. During this time he completed his doctoral thesis in the physiology of the coronary arteries in patients suffering from heart attack.
He is happy to see patients suffering from chest pain, breathlessness, palpitations, fainting or syncope, high blood pressure, patients concerned by their risk of heart disease (primary and secondary prevention), and heart valve disease or murmurs.
Coronary bypass graft assessment
Pressure wire assessment
Intravascular imaging (OCT and IVUS)
Percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI, angioplasty, coronary stenting) including the use of complex adjuvant techniques (eg Rotational atherectomy, bifurcation PCI techniques, etc)
Permanent pacemaker insertion
Treatment of ischaemic heart disease, angina (chest pain) and heart attack.
Treatment of heart failure (breathlessness), arrhythmia (palpitations), atrial fibrillation, high blood pressure and valvular heart disease (murmurs).
Management of primary and secondary prevention (coronary risk reduction).
Myocardial infarction (heart attack).
Coronary microvascular function.
Percutaneous coronary intervention (angioplasty).
- Iqbal MB, Smith RD, Lane R, Patel N, Matter W, Kabir T, Panoulas V, Mason M, Dalby MC, Grocott-Mason R, Ilsley CD. The prognostic significance of incomplete revascularization and untreated coronary anatomy following percutaneous coronary intervention: An analysis of 6,755 patients with multivessel disease. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 2017;1-11 DOI: 10.1002/ccd.27331
- Fahrni G, Wolfrum M, De Maria GL, Cuculi F, Dawkins S, Alkhalil M, Patel N, Forfar C, Prendergast B, Choudhury R, Channon KM, Banning AP, Kharbanda RK. Index of Microcirculatory Resistance at the Time of Primary Percutaneous Coronary Intervention Predicts Early Cardiac Complications: Insights from the Oxford Study In Acute Myocardial Infarction (OxAMI) Cohort. J Am Heart Assoc 2017 DOI:10.1161/JAHA.116.005409
- de Waard GA, Fahrni G, de Wit D, Kitabata H, Williams R, Patel N, Teunissen PF, van de Ven PM, Umman S, Knaapen P, Perera D, Akasaka T, Sezer M, Kharbanda RK, van Royen N. Hyperaemic microvascular resistance predicts clinical outcome and microvascular injury after myocardial infarction. Heart 2017 Jun 29. pii: heartjnl-2017-311431. doi: 10.1136/heartjnl-2017-311431
- Kassimis G, de Maria GL, Patel N, Raina T, Scott P, Kharbanda RK, Banning AP. Assessing the Left Main Stem in the Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory. What is “Significant”? Function, Imaging or both. Cardiovascular Revasculization Medicine2017 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.carrev.2017.06.007
- De Maria GL, Patel N, Wolfrum M, Fahrni G, Kassimis G, Porto I, Dawkins S, Choudhury RP, Forfar JC, Prendergast BD, Channon KM, Kharbanda RK, Garcia-Garcia HM, Banning AP. The influence of coronary plaque morphology assessed by optical coherence tomography on final microvascular function after stenting in patients with ST-elevation myocardial infarction. Coron Artery Dis 2016 Dec 6.
- Koganti S, Patel N, Seraphim A, Kotecha T, Whitbread M, Rakhit RD. Reducing time to angiography and hospital stay for patients with high-risk non-ST-elevation acute coronary syndrome: retrospective analysis of a paramedic-activated direct access pathway. BMJ Open 2016;6:6 e010428 doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2015-010428
- Patel N, Petraco R, Dall’Armellina E, Kassimis G, De Maria GL, Dawkins S, Lee R, Prendergast BD, Choudhury RP, Forfar JC, Channon KM, Davies J, Banning AP, Kharbanda RK. Zero-flow pressure measured immediately after primary percutaneous coronary intervention for ST-elevation myocardial infarction provides the best invasive index for predicting the extent of myocardial infarction at 6-months: An Oxford Acute Myocardial Infarction (OxAMI) study. JACC Cardiov Interv 2015 Sep;8(11):1410-21
- De Maria GL, Cuculi F, Patel N, Dawkins S, Fahrni G, Kassimis G, Choudhury R, JC Forfar, Prendergast B, Channon K, Kharbanda RK, Banning AP. How does coronary stent implantation impact upon the status of the microcirculation during primary percutaneous coronary intervention in patients with ST elevation myocardial infarction? EHJ 2015 doi:10.1093/eurheartj/ehv353
- Taggart DP, Ben Gal Y, Lees B, Patel N, Webb C, Rehman SM, Desouza A, Yadav R, De Robertis F, Dalby M, Banning AP, Channon KM, Di Mario C, Orion E. A Randomized Trial of External Stenting for Saphenous Vein Grafts in Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting. Annals of Thoracic Surgery 2015 Jun;99(6):2039-45
- Meirson T, Orion E, Di Mario C, Webb C, Patel N, Channon KM, Ben Gal Y, Taggart DP. Flow Patterns in Externally Stented Saphenous Vein Grafts as Related to the Development of Intimal Hyperplasia. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2015 Oct;150(4):871-8
- De Maria GL, Burzotta F, Trani C, Kassimis G, Pirozzolo G, Patel N, Dato I, Porto I, Maria Leone A, Niccoli G, Kharbanda R, Crea F, Banning AP. Trends and outcomes of radial approach in left main bifurcation percutaneous coronary intervention in the drug-eluting stents era: a two-centre registry. J Invasive Cardiol 2015 Jul;27(7):E125-36
- Patel N, De Maria GL, Kassimis G, Rahimi K, Bennett D, Ludman P, Banning AP. Outcomes after Emergency Percutaneous Coronary Intervention in patients with Unprotected Left Mainstem Occlusion: The BCIS (British Cardiovascular Intervention Society) National Audit of Percutaneous Coronary Intervention 6-Year Experience. JACC Cardiov Interv 2014;7(9):969-80
- Kassimis G, Patel N, Kharbanda RK, Channon KM, Banning AP. High-speed rotational atherectomy using the radial artery approach and a sheathless guide: a single-centre comparison with the “conventional” femoral approach. EuroIntervention 2014;10(6):694-9
- Diller GP, Wasan BS, Kyriacou A, Patel N, Casula RP, Athanasiou T, Francis DP, Mayet J. Effect of Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery on Myocardial Function as Assessed by Tissue Doppler Echocardiography. Eur J Cardiothoracic Surg 2008;34:995-9
- De Maria GL, Patel N, Banning AP. Obstructive left main stem coronary disease: is it time to recommend coronary stenting? Heart BMJ 2017 Oct 23. pii: heartjnl-2016-310880. doi: 10.1136/heartjnl-2016-310880. [Epub ahead of print]
- Myat A, Patel N, Tehrani S, Banning AP, Redwood SR, Bhat DL. Percutaneous Circulatory Assist Devices for High-Risk Coronary Intervention. JACC Cardiov Interv 2014;8(2):229-244
- Kassimis G, Patel N, Banning AP. Myocardial revascularization strategies in diabetic patients with multi-vessel disease: CABG vs DES-based PCI. Curr Pharm Des Feb 2014;20(28):4589-96
- Kassimis G, Davlouros P, Patel N, De Maria G, Kallistratos MS, Kharbanda RK, Manolis AJ, Alexopoulos D, Banning AP. Adenosine as an Adjunct Therapy in ST Elevation Myocardial Infarction Patients: Myth or Truth? Cardiovasc Drugs Ther. 2015 Jul 7.
- Kassimis G, De Maria GL, Patel N, Banning AP. Evolution of coronary stents in patients with diabetes: are clinical outcomes still improving? Expert Rev Cardiovasc Ther 2014;12(8):997-1003
- Patel N, Banning AP. Bioabsorbable scaffolds for the treatment of obstructive coronary artery disease: the next revolution in coronary intervention? Heart 2013;99(17):1236-43
- Patel N, Cuculi F, Kharbanda R, Banning AP. How do we optimize myocardial perfusion in STEMI? Cardiology International 2012;4:98-102
- Patel N, Banning AP, Kharbanda RK. Reply: Is Coronary Wedge Pressure a Technique to Identify High-Risk Patients Who May Benefit From Alternative Treatment in Acute Myocardial Infarction? Is This The Next Step? JACC: Cardiov Interv 2016;9(1):105
- Patel N, Banning AP, Kharbanda RK. Reply: Microvascular Function in Ischemic Heart Disease: There May Be Room for Improvement. JACC: Cardiov Interv 2016;9(4):394-5
- Kassimis G, Sabharwal N, Patel N, Banning AP. Left internal mammary artery graft stenosis and post-angioplasty restenosis: follow-up through multi-slice cardiac computed tomography angiography. Minerva Cardioangiologica 2016;64(6):709-10
- Patel N, Cuculi F, Banning AP. Two rings too tight: sequential emergency PCI for hemodynamic and arrhythmic complications of mitral and tricuspid valve repair. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 2014;83(1):E73-6
- Patel N, Mechery A, Kassimis G, Banning AP, Kharbanda R. Novel indication for bioabsorbable scaffolds in metal allergy. EuroIntervention 2014;10(4):495
- Kassimis G, Patel N, Banning AP. IVUS-guided High Pressure Non-Compliant Balloon dilation to treat in-DES-Restenosis. J Invasive Cardiol 2014;26(7):348
- Kassimis G, Patel N, Banning A. Sequential Spontaneous Coronary Dissection/Mural Haematoma Within All Three Coronary Arteries over a Nine-Year Period. Hellenic J Cardiol 2014;55(1):58-60
- Patel N, Sabharwal N, Banning AP. Unprotected single coronary artery main-stem angioplasty. Heart 2013;99(21):1626
- De Maria GL, Patel N, Kassimis G, Banning AP. Spontaneous and Procedural Plaque Embolisation in Native Coronary Arteries: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, and Prevention. Scientifica 2013;2013:364247
- Kassimis G, Sabharwal N, Patel N, Banning A. Aberrant right subclavian artery hematoma following radial catheterization. JACC Cardiovasc Interv 2013;6(6):636-7
- Jones T, Patel N, Kalra S. Mortality differences for elective and acute SVG PCI – A 10-year single-centre real-world experience. euroPCR17, Paris. Euro17A-POS1148
- de Waard G, Fahrni G, de Wit D, Kitabata H, Williams R, Patel N, Teunissen P, Knaapen P, Perera D, Akasaka T, Sezer M, Kharbanda R, van Royen N. Hyperemic microvascular resistance is a predictor of clinical outcome after revascularization for acute myocardial infarction: A patient-level pooled analysis. TCT16. J Am Coll Card 2016;68(18S):B67-B68.
- Patel N, Petraco R, Dall’Armellina R, Kassimis G, De Maria GL, Dawkins S, Lee R, Prendergast BD, Choudhury RP, Forfar JC, Channon KM, Davies J, Banning AP & Kharbanda RK. Zero-flow pressure measured at PPCI is the best invasive index for predicting the extent of myocardial infarction. BCIS Advanced Cardiovascular Intervention Young Investigator Award finalist presentation, January 2015
- De Maria GL, Cuculi F, Patel N, Dawkins S, Fahrni G, Kassimis G, Choudhury R, JC Forfar, Prendergast B, Channon K, Kharbanda RK, Banning AP. The effect of stent implantation on coronary microcirculatory status during primary percutaneous coronary intervention in patients with ST-elevation myocardial infarction. EuroIntervention euroPCR abstarcts, May 2015
- Koganti S, Karanasos A, Mazzanti I, Patel N, Loder CD, Lockie T, Regar E, Rakhit RD. Culprit coronary arteries in stable angina and unstable coronary artery disease have more vulnerable features when compared to non-culprit arteries. A three-vessel Optical Coherence Tomography study. Optics in Cardiology, Rotterdam, March 2015
- Taggart DP, Meirson T, Avrahami I, Di Mario C, Webb C, Channon KM, Patel N, Orion E. Insights into Flow Hemodynamics in Externally Stented Vein Grafts. AATS 2015
- Patel N, De Maria GL, Kassimis G, Rahimi K, Bennett D, Ludman P, Banning AP. Primary percutaneous coronary intervention for left main stem occlusion: Analysis of the BCIS registry. euroPCR 2014.
- Patel N, De Maria GL, Kassimis G, Rahimi K, Bennett D, Ludman P, Banning AP. Acute unprotected left mainstem occlusion emergency percutaneous coronary intervention: Analysis of the British cardiovascular intervention society database. Heart 2014 Jun;100 Suppl 3:A16
- Kassimis G, Patel N, Dawkins S, De Maria GL, Prendergast B, Forfar C, Choudhury R, Channon K, Banning AP, Kharbanda RK. First-in-man report of twelve-hour continuous intravenous adenosine infusion in STEMI patients undergoing primary PCI: assessment of feasibility and effects on coronary flow reserve. euroPCR 2014.
- Patel N, Bennett D, Rahimi K, Ludman P, Banning AP. Emergency Percutaneous Coronary Intervention For Unprotected Left Main Coronary Artery Occlusion. J Am Coll Card 2013;62(SuppI):B10
- Kassimis G, Patel N, Kharbanda R, Channon K, Banning AP. Transradial versus transfemoral approach for High-Speed Rotational Atherectomy facilitated Angioplasty. J Am Coll Card 2013;62(SuppI):B87-B88
- Kassimis G, Patel N, Kharbanda R, Channon K, Banning AP. Can rotablation be performed safely as a radial procedure? EuroIntervention 2013;EuroPCR Abstract Supp:312
- Loizides S, Patel N, Rakhit R. CoStar® vs Taxus® Paclitaxel Eluting Stents during Percutaneous Coronary Intervention: experience from a “real world” registry. Presented at the 1st World Congress on Controversies in Cardiovascular Disease. Berlin, Germany. July 2008
- Wasan B, Patel N, Lane R, Thom S, Foale R, Mayet J. Does resting regional myocardial function improve after percutaneous revascularisation? Circulation 2002;106(19):II-557
- Wasan B, Patel N, Lane R, Thom S, Foale R, Mayet J. Resting reduction in regional diastolic myocardial function in territories subtended by stenosed coronary arteries. Presentation at British Cardiac Society Annual Conference, Abstract: Heart 2002;87Supp II:P55
- Wasan B, Patel N, Lane R, Stanbridge R, Glenville B, Thom S, Foale R, Mayet J. Is post operative right ventricular dysfunction present after off pump coronary artery bypass graft surgery? Presentation at British Cardiac Society Annual Conference, Abstract: Heart 2002;87SuppII:P16
- Wasan B, Patel N, Lane R, Stanbridge R, Glenville B, Thom S, Foale R, Mayet J. Does off pump coronary artery bypass graft surgery reduce post-operative right ventricular dysfunction? Presentation at the American College of Cardiology Scientific Sessions, Atlanta, Georgia, Abstract: J Am Coll Card 2002;39(s2):320
- Wasan B, Patel N, Lane R, Thom S, Foale R, Mayet J. Improvement in regional ventricular function following percutaneous coronary artery angioplasty (PTCA). Accepted for presentation at XIVth World Congress of Cardiology, Sydney, Australia,
- Wasan B, Patel N, Lane R, Stanbridge R, Glenville B, Thom S, Foale R, Mayet J. Tissue Doppler Echocardiography: A simple non-invasive method to objectively monitor right ventricular function after CABG. Presentation at British Society of Echocardiography Annual Meeting, Abstract: Heart 2002;88:33
- Wasan B, Patel N, Lane R, Thom S, Foale R, Mayet J. Improvement in regional ventricular function after percutaneous coronary angioplasty. Presentation at the European Council for Blood Pressure and Cardiovascular Research Meeting (ECCR), Noordwijkerhout, The Netherlands
- Wasan B, Patel N, Hughes A, Thom S, Foale R, Mayet J. Reductions in regional diastolic function in coronary artery disease. Presentation at the ECCR, Noordwijkerhout, The Netherlands
- Koganti S, Patel N, Rakhit R. Complex PCI: Bifurcation Lesions Chapter in Challenging Concepts in Cardiovascular Medicine Volume 2 (2016). Accepted to print.